Authentia, an end-to-end digital marketing service provider, published a comprehensive study of the control system integrator industry’s digital marketing performance. Many industrial/manufacturing industries lag behind in their adoption of modern digital marketing practices, largely due to target demographics that have been slow to embrace social media and mobile computing. However, with digital trends accelerating and workforce demographics rapidly changing, businesses are being forced to adapt quickly.
Authentia randomly selected 100 North American control system integrators and assessed their digital marketing effectiveness against 32 separate criteria. Owners, business developers, and marketing professionals will find this information valuable in assessing their own efforts and opportunities against their peers and competitors.
Key findings from the report include:
– Websites are outdated in terms of messaging and technology:
– 79% of CSI websites we analyzed make site visits from a mobile device difficult or impossible, alienating nearly half of their web visitors.
– 48% of the website cannot easily change site content or even enable blogging, as they do not use a Content Management System (CMS).
– 45% of all sites studied make no attempt to establish trust with site visitors through the use of social proof, such as testimonials, awards, certifications, memberships, etc.
– Search engine marketing is nearly non-existent in the industry:
– 3% of websites surveyed were determined to be paying for advertisements on search engines.
– 85% of CSI websites had a Domain Authority below 40, which is a measure of how much clout a website carries with search engines.
– 42% of websites did not have any analytics operating which track their performance.
The industry has not yet adopted content marketing as a strategy:
– 67% of those studied do not list or promote social media accounts, such as Facebook or LinkedIn
– 65% of websites have no blog or news feed.
– 12% had a blog and published industry-focused content (as opposed to company news).
– 88% of websites surveyed did not incorporate social sharing buttons, making their content difficult to find and share.
There are very few mechanisms in place to interact with prospects:
– 2% of websites were connected to a marketing automation tool.
– 84% of websites surveyed did not utilize visible call-to-action buttons.
– 95% of websites failed to use landing pages, which contain an offer designed to collect information from prospects.
While this study has valuable digital marketing insights, you need to temper the results with your ability deploy these recommendations. Costs and personnel resources are often the limiting factors. If you need to know which of these recommendations can be easily implemented at your company, please call us for an evaluation.
The 2015 Control System Integrator Digital Marketing Benchmark Report can be downloaded for free at www.authentiasoft.com/2015-csi